Friday, January 1, 2010

My Year in Review

After ringing in the new year at home with my mom last night, she turned to me and said “I sure hope this year is better than the last”.

I was surprised because I actually thought I had a good year. Yes, there were some really crappy parts: Sue Hendler's death was a blow and my own cancer is now acting up again, but I have to say that I felt well for most of 2009. Here are a few highlights (OK, more than a few...):

JANUARY
Who am I?. Professional photos remind me that I’m not just ‘cancer woman’.
Good News!!!. No signs of tumors on my lungs.
Goodbye to Taxotere. Switched to less invasive Faslodex.
Support Groups. An amazing community of women for support and friendship.

FEBRUARY
Good news for Jilly-Bean! So many friends with a cancer history are well and cancer free.
Saturday WRAP Group. Our weekly gatherings continue, despite the winter weather.
Happy Birthday to Jennifer. So many wonderful friends to enjoy activities and celebrate with.
Let It Go and Life Is Good becomes my new mantra.
Applying for LTD. Approved for long-term-disability coverage.

MARCH
I was well enough to have a lovely
First and Last Skate on the Ottawa canal.
Beauty of the Cause. Posed for a calendar to raise funds for the Weekend to End Breast Cancer.
A beautiful
Weekend away in Belleville with my mom.
The kindness of strangers. Curves raised money to help with my drug costs.
Chemo-fog doesn’t stop me from snow shoeing in Algonquin Park.

APRIL
Anka's back!. Happy to have my activity partner and pedicurist back in town.
Happy Birthday to Sue!. Attended a birthday party in Kingston for Sue H.
My Bucket List. A wealth of accomplishments so far, with more to come.

MAY
Continued to visit Rene in Mahone Bay for
Energy Therapy treatments.
Return to Peggy's Cove. Went back to my ‘special place’.
Continued to get
Good news! From my CT scan results.
My
Bosom Buddies support group friends reunite whenever we can.
Tip toe through the tulips. Many wonderful outings with special people.
Picton with my road-hos. A fun girls’ weekend.

JUNE
First day in the Netherlands. Dutch art. Food, glorious food. Visited Holland and explored Den Haag.
Adam surprised me with a
Road trip to the Czech Republic.
My surprise. Neil Young concert with Adam.
EJ and BJ. Elton John and Billy Joel concert.

JULY
Katey the Wonderdog. Update on Katey the wonder dog. Katey & I found each other.
Cottage dreams. A magical and relaxing week away with friends.

AUGUST
Cancer and Happiness. Still finding meaning in life.
Enjoyed the
Lazy days of summer at Anne’s cottage.
Continued to get good
CT Scan Results.
Aged to near perfection :-) Celebrated my birthday with family & friends.

SEPTEMBER
Enjoyed a day of pampering at the
100 Man Run Spa Day.
Getting ready to participate in
The Run for the Cure.

OCTOBER
Meditation class helped me get back on track.
18,790 visitors to this blog in 1 year.
Just Doing It wins an award 9 years in a row.
Participated in
The Run for the Cure.

NOVEMBER
Canterbury Craft Sale , Sweater obsession & More sweaters. Took up a new hobby.
Granny Fest. Joined the Ammas for Grammas to raise funds for African grandmothers.
Thar's snow in them thar hills. Hiked in the Gatineau hills.

DECEMBER
Peace on earth. A hike is a good break from the hustle & bustle of the holidays.
The conditions were great for Skiing in the Gatineau hills.
All I want for Christmas . The Toonie Tuesday gals visit Santa.
Crap and what I'm grateful for. Hiking with friends makes the crap so much easier to take.

So, all things considered, I'd say I had a great year!

I wish all of you health, happiness and peace in 2010.

3 comments:

Daria said...

I see you said good-bye to Taxotere in January ... I said good-bye in October. Taxotere was tough for me.

All the best in 2010!

Christine said...

I'm hoping that I don't have to say hello to it again in 2010, but will find out more at my oncology appointment next week. There's a possibility that we can try something less toxic this time.

Christine said...

PS - All the best to you in 2010 too Daria!