Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Return to Peggy's Cove

No trip to Halifax would be complete without a drive out to my ‘special place’ – Peggy’s Cove. I’ve been there in all kinds of weather: on a beautiful day when the sun warms the rocks; in the evening as the sun sets and the lighthouse reflects on the water; and even at 3 in the morning (in my teens, after the prom). Whenever I go, it’s always special.

I don’t usually repeat blog postings but I think this one from almost 2 years ago captures how I feel.

September 2007. It's half-way through my week alone in Halifax and a perfect day to visit one of my favorite places in the world - Peggy's Cove.

I find a lovely little shelter from the wind on a rock that looks designed to be a seat, as if it was waiting for me. "Welcome back Chris" the rocks and the ocean seem to say. "We've missed you. We have life and energy to share with you. We'll be here whenever you need to come back and long after you are gone".

Sitting on the rocks, looking out at the water makes me feel alive, as if the world is full of possibilities. I am filled with joy and wonder in this magical place. I would think that such a powerful place would diminish me and make me feel small. Instead it shares it's power with me and I draw strength from it. The rocks are worn and broken, yet beautiful. Maybe it's OK to be broken; maybe I too am a beautiful work of imperfection. Maybe life isn't meant to be smooth, unblemished or organized.

I breathe in the salt air and feel life and health fill my lungs. I may not be as indestructible as the rocks and the ocean, but I am strong and tough and, like them, can take a beating and weather a storm. Because the rocks and ocean will be here for another million years, so will I. Because there will always be a part of me here at the edge of the world at Peggy's Cove.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful, Chris. I can easily imagine myself sitting back there again at Peggy's Cove (It's been almost twenty years since my last visit.), taking deep breaths, inhaling the positive, healing energy from the rocks, water, and sky. Soak it up, Chris!!