Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Run for the Cure

I intended to walk the Run for the Cure today, but I got carried away with the excitement of the crowd and started out running, probably to prove to myself that I could. I could not.

I did a combination of walking and snail running, crossing the finish line in just under 38 minutes. For those of you who don’t run, that’s an incredibly slow time, but I ended up running much more of it than I would have thought I could.

As always, I was moved by the thousands of names that participants carried on their shirts. There was a wall of hope covered in signs that said that people were running for their sister, their mother, their friend, all women, themselves.

The Just Doing It team once again took the prize for the highest amount collected by a women’s community team. Year after year this team of survivors raises money and participates in the run. Year after year more women are diagnosed. But the women on my team and the enthusiasm of the crowd continues to give me hope that eventually there will be a cure. Until then, I'll continue to run, walk and/or crawl.

~ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
The important thing is to not stop questioning. ~ Albert Einstein

No comments: