Thursday, March 5, 2009

First and Last Skate

Two years ago I was recovering from surgery to remove a tumor from my lung. It was the first time in several winters that I missed skating on the Ottawa canal. Because of my cancer treatments, I thought that I would once again have to pass this year. Now would not be the time to fall and break a bone.

I heard on the radio this morning that today would be the last day that the canal would be open. It was a beautiful mild day and the Ottawa website said that the canal conditions were good.


I decided that today was the day; it was meant to be.

I laced my skates up and headed for the canal. I resisted the urge to buy a beaver-tail and just enjoyed the sun and the opportunity to glide along the canal with the rest of the last-day skaters. It did my heart good to know that I didn’t miss out on one of my favorite winter activities, even if I went slow and for a short time.

It’s days like today that make me feel fully alive!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine

We haven't met. I'm a friend of Sue Hendler's in Kingston. I recently spent many weeks in Ottawa as my Mom was leaving this world due to pancreatic cancer. In the midst of this experience, I was also able to skate the canal a few times - a rare occurrence for me - and enjoyed the beauty of the moment. One night as I was leaving the hospital for a moonlit skate, Mom said how much she wished she could join me, even though she wasn't a skater. I'll always remember that.

Karen