Monday, April 27, 2009

Chemo weight gain - Eating my veggies

This post is a continuation of one I started yesterday, in which I said I'd share ideas that I've found helpful for getting off the chemo weight.My naturopathic doctor said to eat as many fruits and vegetables as I possibly can. I've done a good job with the veggies but not so much with the fruit. Here are some ideas that have worked for me.

· I routinely go through my fridge & wash & cut up vegetables, usually just after I buy groceries. I shred carrots in my food processor, cut other veggies into small pieces and store them in stackable plastic containers in the fridge. I can quickly put together a salad by opening all my containers and grabbing a handful from each.

· When I'm chopping up all of those veggies, I sometimes throw the peelings into a strainer. I rinse them well; dump them in a large pot with a bunch of spices, boil & simmer. Strain and you have vegetable stock for soup.

· If I have left over cooked vegetables, I sometimes puree them and freeze in small containers. I add the puree to things like ground turkey burgers (instead of egg), tomato sauce (depending on the veggies - sweet potato works well), meatloaf, zucchini loaf and other things I might make. I got the idea from Jessica Seinfeld's book Deceptively Delicious. This is one of her recipes: Gingerbread Spice Cake.

. Because my back yard is all deck, I don't have a place for a composter. So sometimes, if my food processor is already dirty because I've been shredding carrots or pureeing veggies, I dump the peelings into my food processor and chop them really fine. I stir the result into a large bucket of potting soil I have on my deck & put the lid on tight. It doesn't take long for it to disappear into the dirt and I have rich soil for potting. This year I'm going to try to grow some vegetables in pots.

Maybe I should try eating an apple a day, like my friend Mary Lou. She is using the apple stickers to create art on a piece of paper stuck to her fridge. Here is her masterpiece: a work in progress.

To be continued...

No comments: