Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Chemo weight gain: Breakfast, soup & eating out

As of this morning, I have lost 20 lbs since Feb 1, of which at least 1/2 was chemo weight!

Here are a few more tips that I have found helpful:

. I eat the same breakfast every day: oat bran, ground flaxseed & blueberries (6 WW points). I measure 1/3 cup oat bran, 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed and a handful of frozen blueberries into individual containers & put them in the freezer. In the morning, I dump a container into a bowl, add 3/4 hot water & microwave for 1.5 minutes. Your body can’t absorb the oil from the flaxseed with the shell on, so I grind it fresh (in a coffee grinder) every few days. The leftover ground flaxseed freezes well and it stays granular.

· I've been making soups using lots of vegetables and whatever else I have on hand. I might add barley or lentils or mini pasta & some canned mixed beans (rinsed). Sometimes I add a can of minestrone soup as a base but I often make my own vegetable or chicken broth. I make my soups thick so they are a meal in themselves.

· Rinsed canned beans and cooked rice freeze well. I usually freeze them in small containers (single serving size). Drop the frozen serving in soup or pop it on a plate in the microwave.

· Eating out is my most difficult challenge but in a pinch I will get a turkey sub from Subway with low fat honey mustard dressing. The Works has an elk burger that is about 1/3 the calories & fat of beef. They charge $3.50 extra, but it's a nice splurge.


To be continued...

No comments: