Thursday, May 20, 2010

Cranky

I have a case of the crankies today.

Maybe it's because I've had a cough since December and have had 4 different prescriptions with no improvement. If anything, it feels worse, and I've become short of breath doing normal things like walking up stairs. My last CT scan in February said that things were stable in my lungs, but I think it's time to book another scan, sooner rather than later.

Or maybe I'm just cranky because I'm missing Adam. Why is it that, the better the visit, the more I miss him when it's over? I’ll just have to reflect back on the wonderful week we had together and start planning a trip to Holland for the fall.

We pigged out had dinner at a favorite restaurant, Host India, on Mother’s Day. Adam finally got to meet Katey the Wonder Dog and we tooks lots of walks together. We even had a mother-and-son spa day :-) at Le Nordik in Chelsea. I had booked a massage for both of us but the masseuse wouldn’t do mine because I have cancer in my spine, even though I got the OK from my onc the day before. We enjoyed the pools anyway and had a lovely lunch outside.

Towards the end of the week, Mom joined us and we took in the Ottawa Tulip Festival. This was the 65th anniversary and celebration of the role of Canadian troops in the liberation of the Netherlands at the end of the war. The tulips are a gift from the Dutch royal family to the City of Ottawa for providing a safe harbor at that time. Adam bought a print of tulips with Parliament Hill in the background to display in their home in Den Haag.

Tara arrived from Calgary just in time for the Prodigal Son party on Saturday night. They got to meet some of my friends who only know them through my never-ending stories, and Adam got reacquainted with old friends, some who have known him since he was a boy. I cooked a turkey on the BBQ and took them off to the airport with full bellies (and a few tears) on Sunday.

There, I feel better, just looking at the pictures and thinking about the great time we had together.

PS – Another reason I may be feeling cranky is because I felt like I’ve been leaving messages in the PDN Black Hole (a.k.a. the voice message system for my Personal Designated Nurse at the cancer clinic) about the cough. I’m happy to report I just had a call from her and she will speak to the radiologist I’m seeing tomorrow about getting a chest x-ray.

No comments: