Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Traveling with Metastatic Breast Cancer



"As anyone facing a metastatic cancer diagnosis knows, there is nothing like a life-threatening illness to add a sense of urgency to your "I’ve-always-wanted-to-do-that" list. Visiting all seven continents is one of my goals. Since my mets diagnosis in 2007, I’ve made travel a bigger priority."

Travel is also a priority for me. My son Adam lives in Holland and I am hoping to go for a visit this fall. One of the big concerns I have is medical coverage. I went on an Africa safari a month after a wedge resection of my lung to remove a tumor. Both Blue Cross and Great West Life (my work insurance) told me that they couldn’t offer me coverage.

I’m excited to read in Claudia’s article that she has been able to get insurance that covers pre-existing conditions. I went on the travelguard.com website that she referenced and the website says:

"A pre-existing condition exclusion applies to medical conditions and/or symptoms that existed prior to travel. There may be no coverage if you have a pre-existing condition."

I plan to contact them by phone to get more information.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also like to travel and have metastatic disease. I have used Travel Guard's insurance. If you buy it within a certain amount of time (I think it is 10 days) after you put your first deposit down for the trip there is an automatice preexisting condition waiver. So it doesn't matter if you have a preexisting condition. My plans included hiking the Inka Trail in the Andes of Peru, so I purchased a plan that would allow me to fly to the US (perhaps a hospital of my choice) if there was a medical emergency. In short, the key is that you must purchase the insurance very shortly after your first deposit, even if it is a deposit you don't mind lowing. You are allowed just to pay for the amount of insurance that covers your down payment to date. I spoke to Travel Guard several times, and they were very helpful. Good luck!

Yan Simkin said...

Hi,

My wife is in a similar situation. Were you able to find any info? I hope you plans came true.

Thanks.