Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Last Lecture - discussion 3

In this week’s book club assignment on the Last Lecture by Randy Paush, Dennis Pyritz says:

“His [Randy's] cancer really did help him to focus. In “I’m on My Honeymoon, But If You Need Me…” he offers advice that we as cancer patients can readily connect with. “Time must be explicitly managed,” “You can always change the plan, but only if you have one,” and “Are you spending your time on the right things?””

My response:

I now plan less than I used to. I like the freedom of waking up in the morning and choosing exactly what I want to do with my day (when I’m feeling well enough, of course). I’ve let go of my need to be ‘productive’ and have more fully experienced the days and moments. I don’t commit to things ahead of time; I’ll sometimes play the cancer card and ask if I can decide at the last minute because I might not be feeling up to it that day. I’ve let go of the guilt of what I used to think of as wasting time. Sitting under a tree on a beautiful day now feels like time well spent.

No comments: