Thursday, October 2, 2008

Chemo - Round 2

Although today was a long day, I’m wide awake at just after midnight, probably because of the steroids I’ve been taking for the last 2 days. My first appointment was at 8:30 at the Civic Hospital to have a port-o-cathe implanted in my upper chest, beside the collarbone. The original treatments in 1998 left my veins scarred and collapsed and finding a vein for chemo or drawing blood was becoming more and more difficult. The port-o-cathe will eliminate all that poking, prodding and bruising.

The port is the bubble looking piece in the picture that sits just under the skin and the long tube or catheter connects the port to a vein. When drugs need to be injected or blood samples drawn, the piece on the right is inserted into the silicone tube of the port.

A small incision was made in my skin to insert the port-o-cathe. They used sedation and told me that I would probably be aware of what was going on but not much care. I must have been pretty tired because the next thing I knew I was waking up in the recovery room.

My next appointment was in the afternoon for chemo at the General. The chemo went well and I’m feeling pretty good so far. Margaret, my daughter-in-law Tara's mom, is in town from Calgary for one night on business and she stopped by on her way from the airport. I was really glad that I felt well enough to enjoy her visit.

A huge thanks to my drivers Louise, Nancy and Greg for getting me to today’s appointments and safely home again!

No comments: