Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Edge of Light

My name is Christine Lynds and I have metastatic stage 4 breast cancer. The good news is that I am in a full remission and life goes on. The bad news is that having cancer doesn't give me a free-pass to avoid the day-to-day crap that we all have to deal with ... and life goes on.

I decided to call my blog The Edge of Light because:

  1. Some days I feel like I'm on the edge... on the edge of what I'm not sure... but definately on the edge;
  2. I'm not exactly new-agey, but I sometimes have foggy glimpses of enlightenment;
  3. It captures some of the drama of my favorite childhood soap opera: The Edge of Night;
  4. There is a lighter side to every challenge, including cancer; and
  5. I couldn't think of a more clever name.

Having cancer is sort of like having a near death experience. I feel like I’ve gone to the edge of the tunnel of light, peered in, looked death in the face. There were no voices urging me to ‘go towards the light’, so I went in another direction, towards another kind of light that is life.

One of the challenges of having metastatic cancer is that there aren't enough good-news stories. While it may be necessary to go to the 'dark side' at times, I want to create a blog that is about living in the moment and finding joy in the small things.

No comments: