Friday, January 11, 2008

Christmas in Palm Springs


My Christmas’s as a child were magical. Gifts were piled high under the tree, there was a huge traditional dinner with lots of family, and there was always snow.

So this year was a complete shift from the way I think of Christmas. I spent the holidays in Palm Springs with my son Adam, his wife Tara and her mom and step-dad. We had a lazy Christmas day -- in and out of the pool -- and had a buffet dinner at a lovely restaurant. There were few decorations, no turkey leftovers, and certainly no snow.

Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it. Our surroundings were lovely (if not exactly festive) and the best part was that I got to spend time with Adam and Tara, which to me is what Christmas is all about. Temperatures, environment, and even traditions may change, but family is still the thing that means the most to me at Christmas.

No comments: