Thursday, December 20, 2007

Being a Parent

Being a parent is the best thing I’ve done in my life – no contest.

I was far too young to be able to say that I made a conscious choice to become a mother, but I was naively happy when it happened. Adam and I struggled through it together and somehow he managed to grow into a son to be proud of, despite my youth and inexperience.

Being a parent was also the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life.

I worried, made mistakes, shed tears and wish I could do a “re-do” of a few days that weren’t my best moments as a mother (or as a human being). But I never thought that my role as a mother was to make things easy for Adam or to give him material things that I didn’t have growing up. My role was to prepare him for life, and to give him the gifts of self-confidence, opportunity and love. If I somehow managed to contribute to the person Adam is today, despite any mistakes I made along the way, then I’ve done my job and can be proud of the interesting, witty, caring, reflective, remarkable man that he has become.

Adam is 30 now and living the life I dreamed for him, in Holland with his lovely wife Tara.

This post was inspired by Melanie, a young mom who is raising two beautiful, active little boys. With their mom's love, guidance and support, those boys will someday become the wonderful men they are meant to be.

No comments: