Monday, March 10, 2008

Memories of Africa

It’s hard to believe it’s been a year – at times it seems like it was yesterday and at others it seems like it was just a dream and didn’t happen at all. I’m on a roll, so I’ll just continue the story …

After Peggy & Megan returned from climbing Kilimanjaro, Jennifer & I met up with them in Arusha just before heading off for our camping safari in the Serengeti. We headed out of town by jeep, with our guide Chaffe and our cook Isaac. Riding in a jeep through the Serengeti is probably not recommended for someone recovering from surgery, but it did cure me of my tendency for motion sickness.

I can’t begin to tell you the animals we saw: lions, hippos, giraffes, gazelles, baboons, zebras, etc, etc, etc. Our campsite and tents were not exactly luxurious, but we went to Tanzania for adventure and adventure is what we got.
One morning before the sun came up, we actually heard lions in the not so far off distance. I guess that's why our guide told us to pee beside the tent at night instead of using the outhouse. To hell with modesty!

To be continued...

No comments: