Sunday, November 15, 2009

H1N1 Shot

I was on the fence about getting the vaccine until I talked to my oncologist. Although he did say that he didn't consider my immune system to be currently compromised, he said that H1N1 is really nasty (he's had it himself) and encouraged me to get it (the shot, not the flu).

If you are a cancer patient and decide to get the vaccine, don't bother waiting in line at one of the immunization clinics. Based on my experience on Friday, they seem to be giving them routinely to anyone with an appointment at the cancer clinic. I was in and out of there in about 5 minutes.

The nurse who did the injection told me that I might have flu-like symptoms. She was right. Along with a surprisingly sore arm (I'm used to getting a large needle in my butt every 4 weeks, so I thought I was tough), I am feeling like crap: headache, nausea, sort of achy all over. I might not have been so quick to roll up my sleeve if I had known...

If you are currently on chemo, you may want to read what Laurie was advised at Chemotherapy and the H1N1 vaccine.

1 comment:

Daria said...

I was on the fence about getting the shot and too decided to get it. I got in the thigh ... ouch!